Thursday, September 8, 2011

How to Change your Name after Getting Married

'I'll know Mr. Right when I see him. Upon marriage, he'll be willing to change his last name to mine.'


Photo via Cartoon Stock


Changing your Name

Once of the first things to do after getting married is to make it official by changing your name! For Louisville residents, if you have already gotten married and have your marriage certificate on hand, you can take that to the Social Security office and change your name, and 24 hours later you can take that to the place where you get your Drivers License.
Got married out of town or out of the country and don't have your marriage certificate back yet?! Here are the additional steps you have to go through:
  • Go to the Hall of Justice at 6th and Jefferson Street Downtown Louisville, go to the 3rd Floor, to room #3001.
  • Ask them for a "Petition to Change Name" form. You can use their typewriter and they will notarize it there. If you take the form with you to fill out later, just remember that it has to be typed and you have to sign it in front of a notary public.
  • In about 7-10 days you'll get something called an "Order" in the mail.
  • Take the "Order" to the Social Security Office.
  • Wait 24 hours after going to the Social Security Office and then take the "Order" paper to one of the Drivers License places to get your new drivers license.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Statistics